From Creative Commons
Jump to: navigation, search

Call info

Staff Updates

Nathan Kinkade

  • I have finally finished finding, resolving and cleaning up the data for several bugs in CiviCRM and our custom one-click donation code.
  • I just lately upgraded our Drupal install to version 6.17 (from 6.15). Drupal runs Still need to upgrade a couple modules.
  • I'm currently upgrading our WordPress install (runs to version 3.0, and am working through some potential problems with our theme and/or a custom plugin that isn't working with the latest version.
  • Mentoring a Google Summer of Code student developing a CC WordPress plugin.
  • Answering emails to

Cameron Parkins

  • Finished design primer
  • Met w/ Creative Migration about integrating CC-licensing across their distribution plan for documentary work
  • Originating contacts for ease of use
  • Assisting with various fundraising tasks AD delegates me
  • Worked w/ Protagonize to help flesh out CC licensing options
  • Assisted TicTacDo w/ licensing questions
  • ASCAP web roundup assistance for ES

Alex Roberts

Mike Linksvayer

  • At COMMUNIA in Turin, meeting with a number of CC leads from affiliates in the region, especially with regards to Europeana, public domain, collecting societies, OER, metadata, affiliate upgrades, grant proposals review and planning Wikimania presentation with Alek Tarkowski (CC Poland) and Michelle Thorne
  • Writing proposals for collaboration with related organizations.

Timothy Vollmer

  • attending uspto-ntia symposium: copyright policy, creativity & innovation in the internet economy - july 1
  • OER Advocacy Coalition monthly call we discussed Common Core Standards and potential for integration with OER - discussing next steps
  • iNACOL K-12 OER survey sent out and responses trickling in - 48 so far
  • Wayne Mackintosh OER Policy interview up -
  • spec-ing out CC materials for inclusion in potential OER toolkit for educational technology directors
  • meeting up with Michael Edson from Smithsonian to discuss OER aspects of Smithsonian Commons project

Kaitlin Thaney

  • Last week at CC - very bittersweet. will miss you guys and gals. :)
    • lots of transition emails
    • handing over reigns to grant management, other tasks, programmatic work
  • Sage
    • second Workstream telecon, already starting to prepare for next year of work on issues such as citation, standards, tools and internationalization for global data sharing. public engagement group is new this year, and a very important component moving forward.
  • Semantic Resources Collaboration
    • prepping with the team a means of moving forward and achieving pre-established goals / deliverables.
  • Grant renewals, grant renewals, grant renewals.
  • Sent out next funder dispatch. You can find an archive of them here: and more at
  • Logistical tidying up. Shipping SC Cambridge office boxes to SF headquarters, goodbyes, etc.

Tal Niv

  • Writing and rewriting the general structure for the CC-C(ontribution) white paper
  • Working my way through it – starting to draw up an outline for each chapter.
  • Setting on a theoretical infrastructure
    • institutional analysis
    • transaction cost economics,microanalysis
    • art as innovation
  • Laying out the data requirements for project.
  • Getting more in depth input from CC-people on their respective field.

Christopher Webber

  • Did thorough testing and fixing various issues for the (re)launch of the "Sanity" branch of the Creative Commons license engine
    • Fixed some bugs in RDF tooling where defaultLanguage was not set and `./bin/license add` wouldn't add the jurisdiction field.
    • Some pages were missing ability to set target language via lang query parameter.
    • Found a bug in the CC0 email-me-this-output feature where it gave the string representation of the license.title method instead of actually calling it and printing the output.
    • Sending email from CC0 page would redirect to /ccengine-fcgi/* kind of url when mounted that way (which the user shouldn't actually see because of the aliasing). Fixed that.
    • After i18n update of formatters, were missing the image header (unit tests didn't catch this, so I didn't realize it sooner). Resolved.
    • CC0 partner page was missing.
    • CC0 RDF was missing the foaf:logo assertions. Added.
    • Some pages not supporting RTL correctly. Resolved.
    • A couple of <br />'s missing in the new i18n'ified formatter output
    • /licenses/publicdomain/ was broken
  • Bugfixing a number of issues with new formatter in cc.license
    • Various fields not escaped
    • dc:type / format wasn't going through in rendered output. The formatters, instead of accepting the actual dc:type (like MovingImage), expected other names like 'video', which it would thus transform into MovingImage.
    • There was no public domain formatter in new cc.license, was mistakenly using the normal HTMLFormatter. Resolved and updated sanity cc.engine
    • Mapping of work_info -> work_dict incorrect in cc.engine, meaning some useful information was missing from RDFa output
  • Did a bunch of thorough testing to make sure all was good in sanity branch of cc.engine
  • Launched cc.engine sanity. A few bumps while re-launching, but we're running the new engine, and all looks good now.
  • Sometimes sanity was being slow to come up when restarting cc.engine w/ fcgid. Turns out we had MaxProcessCount at 500... heh. Moved it down to 25 and sanity starts up fast now.
  • Sent a couple of emails about post-sanity license engine launch
    • What was discovered while testing sanity before launch
    • How to make license.rdf & cc.i18npkg deployment easier to servers
  • GSOC mentoring Akila on his CC plugin

Alea Garbagnati

  • Met with Lila to discuss the progress of the FAQ Project
  • Finalized re-categorization of FAQs for the FAQ Project
  • Set up Google Documents for updating each category of FAQs
  • Working on first round of edits for the first two categories of FAQs

Aurelia J. Schultz

  • Jurisdiction Team revamp with Diane and Michelle
  • Internet Services Policy draft
  • Porting - review of 2 jurisdiction's draft licenses
  • Africa - communications re: Catalyst Grant Proposals

Reg Leones

  • Reviewed CC license porting process
  • Identified legal concepts and license terms of interest in the Unported BY-NC-SA 3.0 legal code
  • Pre-Porting Questionnaire updates
  • Preliminary comparative review of BY-NC-SA 3.0 legal codes in Netherlands, Spain, UK and Australia.

Melissa Reeder

  • Managing Catalyst Campaign - ends June 1st
  • Planning meetings and dinners for Joi and key constituents
  • Continuing to manage annual campaign planning - runs from Oct. 1 - Dec. 31st with goal of raising $550,000
  • Facts and figures page now live! also working on integrating analytics into everything development
  • Helped submit organizational effectiveness grant proposal to Hewlett for board training and capacity building
  • General grant management duties, day to day, etc.

Jonathan Rees

  • Reviewed my overall work portfolio with John W.
  • Library Linked Data W3C interest group - joined telecons.
  • Semantic Resources project:
    • meetings
    • worked with Tim D on characterizing mouse strains and 'central dogma' ontology
    • started thinking about task list for final report
    • discussed annotation ontology with Paolo
  • W3C TAG:
    • Persistent linking: went over outline of report on architecture of 'persistence' with Larry Masinter
    • Took another look at Memento, implications for 'HTTP semantics'
  • Discussed provenance with Alan, Mike, & Nathan

Alex Kozak

  • Finishing up the SJ 2.0 report for submission to journal this coming Monday.
  • Building the Jurisdiction Databse and License Porting databse on the CC wiki. It will be 1) a database of jurisdictions and some useful metadata about them, and 2) a connected database of CC license porting data in each jurisdiction (what legal issues arose, how the license defines X, etc.)
  • Catalyst grant application help and grant page changes.
  • Wrote a post about DiscoverEd and the code sprint in Michigan (also see CC Labs).
  • DiscoverEd crawl has stalled due to a bug, hoping to run that soon. Need to work on separating from DiscoverEd in the documentation, and migrate this whiteboard photo of the DiscoverEd architecture to a wiki page.
  • Misc. Calidornia Digital Textbook Initiative conversations, meeting next week.
  • Discussing submitting recommendations re: metadata and Common Core ed. standards.
  • Public metadata q/a

Jane Park

  • catching up on email and getting up to speed on new developments from vacation
  • editing tvol's OER Policy Interview with Wayne Macintosh
  • exploring CC license integration with Conspiracy for GOOD folks
  • correspondence with bloggers who announced the Catalyst Campaign
    • updating database of blogger outreach
  • ongoing co-planning of Drumbeat NYC
  • fleshing out CC use cases for a design primer
  • beginning to work on integrating relevant ccLearn documents into and revamping in general for greater clarity, effectiveness
  • miscellaneous communications, blogging, tweeting, news

Allison Domicone

  • Planning and publicizing next CC Salon on July 6; targeted outreach to relevant organizations involved in innovative online and offline sharing/collaboration
  • Developing new strategies for the CC newsletter to make it more interesting and engaging
  • Planning for our fall fundraising campaign
  • Ongoing volunteer coordination. We have volunteers helping to fulfill store orders and mail thank-you letters to donors, as well as helping to do research and database clean-up.