SoC 2006: Banshee
What is it?
ccBanshee is a Google Summer of Code (SoC) project that enables Banshee users to view, verify, and manipulate license metadata embedded in media files. Verification is the main goal of this project and is explained in greater detail on the MP3 page.
How Does it Work?
Where to Get it?
The code can be obtained from the Creative Commons Source Forge Subversion respository ccBanshee.
How to Run it?
- Backup your Banshee music database (~/.gnome2/banshee/banshee.db).
- Copy everything from ccbanshee/trunk/ to your banshee/ CVS directory.
- Make and install Banshee CVS.
- Copy ccbanshee/trunk/cc-sharp/cc-sharp.dll to /usr/lib/banshee/ or wherever your Banshee CVS install is.
- Run Banshee.
Google SoC Roadmap (2006)
Project start (May 23)
- Planning and Design
- Poke around in code and network with other developers
Notes: I'm in Russia durring this time and do not have adequate computer resources for coding.
- Lay out Banshee code for initial proof-of-concept code
- Modify database to handle basic license information
- Update library view to show database changes
Notes: The current state of Banshee will make modifying the database and PlaylistView difficult. The library view is hardcoded and a large amount of time will have to be devoted to designing an acceptable license view addition.
- Implement MP3 ID3 tag parsing
Notes: Many updates have been made to the way license metadata is storied in the ID3 tags. More attention will be given to updating entagged-sharp to these changes if not already done.
- Integrate C# CC license wrappers
- Add icons to represent each license property
Mid-project (June 30)
- Add claim validation functionality
- Write necessary network code
- Implement XML parsing of page claim validation
- Add support for other media types such as OGG
- Banshee plugin abstraction (tentative)
- Modify and update Banshee plugin API to handle database changes and library view access
- Abstract Banshee-ccLicenser to plugin API