Difference between revisions of "Content Registries"
Revision as of 00:15, 17 July 2007
Creative Commons works can be registered with third-party entities for copyright timestamp authenticity and non-repudiation measures for proof of copyright. Registrars of Creative Commons works include: Numly, Registered Commons and more in the future.
This page is to specify best practices for registrars to use in adopting Creative Commons content for their registries.
This table is a work in progress; we're currently converting the information to Semantic MediaWiki markup.
<ask format="table" limit="100" mainlabel="Name">
Cost Length of Registration Types of Works onlineRegistration:=* serialNumbers:=* documentStorage:=* sha1hashing:=* onlineVerification:=*
Registrar Comparison Chart
Listed below is a comparison chart between the Creative Commons and All Rights Reserved registrars:
|Numly||DulyNoted||Registered Commons||U.S. Copyright Office|
|Cost||Free/$5 month(1)||$29-$37 per reg||Free (Fair Use )||$45 per reg|
|Length of Registration||Forever(2)||10 Years||Forever ||Forever|
|Types of Works||All||All (Movie/Image?)||Doc, Audio, Image, Video||All|
|Text length Limit||5000 Characters(3)||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|File Size Limit||100KB - 100MB Limit(4)||?(5)||Unlimited (Fair Use )||Unlimited|
|Serial Numbers||X||X||GRiD (Global Release Identifier)||X|
|All Rights Reserved||X||X||X||X|
|CC Integration||X||X |
|Firefox/Word Press/Apple Plugins/APIs||X||X |
|CC Publish||4Q2006||1Qu2007 (bounty)|
|Orphan Works Protection||X||X|
|Use as Permalink||X||X|
|Rating/Feedback Tools||X||Forum + WIKI for each work|
|Proof of Identity||X Vouchor.com||Full CAcert integration||X|
|Open Source / Standards||X |
|Operated by||Numly Inc.||Registered Cooperative |
- (1) – Numly has a three-tiered plan that offers 30/100/2500 registrations per month for $0, $5 and $100 per month respectively.
- (2) – Numly numbers are good for life, even if you cancel your paid subscription or stop using your account.
- (3) – The 5000 character limit can be circumvented by uploading the text file instead of pasting the copy.
- (4) – Numly allows the uploading and hashing of files up to 100KB in size for a free account, .5MB for a professional and 100MB for an Enterprise.
-  - Professional users (exceeding 100 registrations per month or more than 100MB) are requested to sign up for a business account. Please contact stamp at RegisteredCommons.org
-  - The Global Release Identifier (GRiD) is good for life. Timestamps are kept for 35 years at A-cert. This is our trusted and audited 3rd party digital signature partner, conformant to European Union digital signature regulation. We guarantee access to the hash codes for at least seven years. In case we need to shut down the service (for unforeseeable reasons) the hash code will be deposited at a public notary.
-  - RegisteredCommons has been developed by a public-private partnership, the Competence Network for Media Design. The service is operated by OSalliance, a co-operative of open source and media developers with 25+ members, located in Austria (near the Swiss border). Any RegisteredCommons user may request shares (max 20 by statutes) at the co-op. Revenues will be always used for open source and open culture projects.
-  All CC licenses in all available jurisdictions + SamplingPlus + PublicDomain
-  WordPress, Firefox, Generic XML-RPC API, ccHost in 1Qu2007
-  Service is based on GPL software (BSD/Postgres/SpunQ). GRiD is an open standard by IFPI.