You've probably seen our "some rights reserverd" and "no rights reserved" (for public domain works) buttons on many web pages, but there's more. Whenever a user copies HTML generated by our license selection application they get the button and also a block of metadata describing the licensed work and the license it is offered to the public under. You can't normally see that information without viewing the web page's source. A toolbar or plugin that exploited this hidden information could take many forms. One possibility: If a page has valid license metadata, place a (cc) icon on the toolbar. Mousing over the icon brings up a transient window which displays the license characteristics associated with the license and any descriptive metadata also present.
- mozCC: Extension for Mozilla-based browsers that adds relevant license characteristic icons to the status bar as you surf and adds a button to the toolbar which allows you to explore associated metadata.
- Mycroft CC Search Plugin: Adds the Creative Commons search engine to the list available from Mozilla Firefox's toolbar. This plugin is bundled with Firefox 1.0. You can switch between engines in the Firefox search bar.
- CC Search Sidebar: Adds a sidebar for the Creative Commons search engine to any Mozilla-based browser.
No Creative Commons plugins for other browsers currently exist. We you to write one. However, these sites will be useful with any browser:
- Creative Commons Search Engine: Allows you to search the web for works that match your licensing and media requirements, mirroring the options available from our license chooser.
- ccValidator: Inspects and displays license metadata associated with any page.
- Nathan Yergler has created mozCC, a browser extension for Mozilla-based browsers. It's a start, but we know there are other browser in use. So how about similar functionality for IE, Safari, Opera, Konqueror, Epiphany or something else?
- Please add your implementation here :)
- Please add you example, screenshot, mockup, etc here :)
- Please add your TODO here :)