Africa/CC Africa Regional Meeting 2012
Creative Common's first regional meeting to be held in Africa will be held on 27-28 June 2012 in Entebbe, Uganda, on the shores of Lake Victoria.
It aims to bring together CC's community in African as well as partners from a wide range of organisations interested in open access, collaborative OER and digital learning projects in Africa. Attendees will include representatives of:
- Africa’s open community, including Creative Commons, open education, and free and open source software;
- the government and public sector, including regulators, teachers and librarians;
- the private sector, including technology companies (eg Google Africa) and lawyers;
- development organisations, NGOs and other non-profits, such as local digital media hubs;
- International organisations, such as IGOs.
The purpose of the meeting will be to:
- facilitate collaboration and interaction between these organisations;
- encourage the further adoption of open standards, and in particular Creative Commons, across Africa; and
- initiate at least one, if not more, collaborative, cross border project in the OER and digital media space.
The meeting will run for two days, with the first day focusing on telling the tale of open in Africa and planning around potential collaborative projects among participants, while the second day continues the collaborative planning process and serves as the Creative Commons Africa regional meeting.
dates: 27-28 June 2012
location: Lake Victoria Serena Resort, Entebbe, Uganda
cost: free; accommodation sponsorship available to selected guests (please see registration form)
program: You can find the program here.
Photographs from the meeting:
Materials, presentations and reports from the meeting.
- CC Tanzania Updates - presentation by Paul Kihwelo and the team at CC Tanzania
- Africa Priorities 2012 - outcomes of the final discussion session on priorities for CC in Africa
The meeting has now passed.
If you have any questions regarding the Convening, please contact Primah Kwagala at kwagalap at gmail.com.