PuSH Feed Type
The people who run a DiscoverEd instance may wish to be updated nearly-immediately when there are new resources published by a curator.
Right now, DiscoverEd instances aggregate feeds and crawl every once in a while, often manually at the behest of the search engine operator. PubSubHubBub provides a way for the DiscoverEd instance to subscribe feeds and receive automatic, nearly-instantaneous notification of new information in the feed.
This can be built on top of existing Atom/RSS feeds that curators already publish.
This feature was defined and developed during the fun DC meeting thing. (Nathan, did that meeting have a name?)
A complete implementation of this specification would provide the following things.
- DiscoverEd can discover a PuSH hub mentioned in a feed.
- DiscoverEd can register itself as a subscriber to that feed on that hub. (To do that, it has to provide a URL on the DiscoverEd instance that, when the feed is updated, the hub should POST to.)
- When the hub pings DiscoverEd to say there is an update to that feed, it re-aggregates data from that feed, does a crawl, and merges the index.
- This draft document has been written. That's all.
- NSDL is interested in trying this with us.