The PDWiki project's goal is to build a community around publicly editing listings of copyright status of creative works. It has grown, changed, and gone through many phases to get to where its at now. It currently has three solid components (Open Library integration, PDregistry.ca, and mediawiki plugin integration) to its strategy, and has played key roles in both the CCZero and CCRegistry projects.
For overall realtime communication, please use #openlibrary on irc.freenode.net since #cc is chock full of people! :)
For mailing list, there are three lists we co-locate on including:
- Private for now
- Development Server: http://apollonius.us.archive.org:9071 (don't save pages here unless backed up)
- Bug Tracker
- http://pdregistry.ca (current)
- http://pdregistry.ca:9897 (dev)
- Bug Tracker
Test Mediawiki Integration with Open Library
- Demo URL
- Project Page
- Software Repository
- Bug Tracker
- Please see http://pdregistry.ca/about for detailed roadmap.
- administrative bylaws maneuvering and empowerment of CC Canada
- go through bugs (DONE)
- what is necessary to get sign-off from Access Copyright to make this a skin?
- update documentation and make as much public as possible
- After Access Copyright sign-off, move templates over to Open Library and close down old site
- Test out site
- Launch public skins with soft launch
- Later do larger launch
Launch PD Code on Open Library
- Open Library Dev server setup
- how to push changes up?
- Copyright Code Turned back on on dev server
- Update with Fred Von Lohman's OK'd text around functionality
- Brewster wants to see copyright code phrased in terms of public domain rather than copyright
- Also, brewster wants us to investigate just removing the copyright and unknown classications on the main pages, and require drill-down to discover these. PD status though should be on the book pages clearly.
- Finish more_info pages:
- Forward to Fred Von Lohman to get review of language around copyright/pd
- Add Open Library documentation for copyright functionality to dev server pages
- Add Open Library copyright functionality page per jurisdictions with map/flowchart to each page to provide transparency to algorithms
- Work with CC Jurisdictions on adding more pd/copyright code, with CC NL as first and OKFN additions
- Open Library integration is not going to roll out with much press
- Open Content License Functionality
- Add license field to openlibrary for tracking if Creative Commons license or any other licenses are attached to a work. https://bugs.launchpad.net/pdregistry.ca/+bug/283524
Launch OL + Wikipedia Integration
- API additions to Open Library:
- launch launchpad bug tracker (David) (DONE)
- Mediawiki extension released when? hopefully in NOV 2008 after OCA meeting
- Next steps for wikipedia integration?
Future and Growing Usage
- Ideas, thoughts, the future!!!