KAZAKH AFFILIATE TEAM ROADMAP
(Jurisdiction: Republic of Kazakhstan) Institution: «Wikibilim» Public Foundation www.wikibilim.kz, creativecommons.kz
Date submitted: September, 2011 Timespan of the roadmap: 2 years Team information Team leader – Mr. Rauan Kenzhekhanuly. President of Wikibilim Foundation. Government official, diplomat, journalist, has recently completed a one-year Fellows Program at The Weatherhead Center for International Relations at Harvard University. Previously served as an adviser to the Governor of the Mangystau region (Kazakhstan), counseling on domestic and foreign policy issues. Previously, was an executive director of the regional broadcasting company “Kazakhstan – Aktau.” Prior to this, had worked in Moscow, as first secretary (press secretary) at the embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan. From 2002 until 2005, served as a chief of the Moscow bureau of the National TV Agency of Kazakhstan; Global Wikipedian-2011 (Awarded at Wikimania-2011 by Mr. Jimmy Wales) Team members: Mr. Almas Nurbakytov – Lawyer of the Wikibilim Foundation. Graduate of Kazakh National Law Academy (with distinction). Has rich experience in teaching as well as in practicing law. Has completed one-year English Language training courses at Harvard Extension School in Boston, USA. The responsible for CC 4.0 process.
Mr. Nartay Ashim – National Coordinator of Wikibilim Foundation. Graduate of Robert Gordon University – Aberdeen. Engineer. Teaches at Kazakh National Technical University. Active Wikipedian. He was given the status of bureaucrat of the Kazakh section of Wikipedia. Mr. Balashov Talgat – Dean of Law Faculty at Kazakh National Pedagogical University. Has a PhD in law.
Region – Europe. Geographically the Republic of Kazakhstan is mainly situated in Central Asia. However, about 15% of the countries’ terrain is technically European. Besides, Kazakh law system belongs to Roman-Germanic law school.
Vision Today Kazakhstani internet is developing rapidly. Big cities and populated areas have been connected to the internet. Work is underway to connect rural areas to the internet. However, the content volume in the Kazakh language (official language) is very limited. To develop content the universal tools are required suitable both for authors and users as well. Thus we see the Creative Commons as a basic term and universal tool to develop free content in Kazakh language. Besides, the major part of the community of authors and users in Kazakhstan are interested in free licenses. AdaptationAdoption of CC licenses will allow the national law of copyright to extend the rights of authors and users. The public Foundation “Wikibilim” is the regional branch of Wikimedia foundation inc. in Kazakhstan and it is engaged in the development of the Kazakh language section of the Wikipedia. The Creative Commons license adaptationadoption project will run parallel to the project mentioned above. Public foundation “Wikibilim” is the coordinating organization to adaptadopt the license of CC. It includes in its membership two voluntary teams: the team which deals with legal issues (in collaboration with the Faculty of Law of the Kazakh National University named after Abay) and the team which is engaged in the public furtherance of the ideas of CC license. For today, the presentation seminars have been held with the teachers and students participation at 2 universities of the country (Nazarbayev University and Kazakh University of International Relations and World Languages) with the support of Ministry of Information and Communication and Ministry of Education and Science. It is planned to hold such seminars at all major universities of the country as well (about 10 universities). In addition, it is planned to hold presentations on the CC license at the National Library of Kazakhstan, the Central archive of Kazakhstan and Writers’ Union. All the above mentioned measures will have been held by this year.
Community • «Wikibilim» Public foundation Currently, recognition of «Wikibilim» as a Wikipedia’ local chapter in Kazakhstan in progress. At Wikimania-2011 Mr. Jimmy Wales awarded Wikibilim with his personal grant to organize regional Wikipedia conference. • Ministry of communications and information of the Republic of Kazakhstan; • Ministry of education and science of the Republic of Kazakhstan; • Joint Stock Company «KazContent»; • Nazarbayev University; • Faculty of Law, Abai Kazakh National Pedagogical University; • International University of Information Technology; • LLP “Kazakh Encyclopedia”; • Association of legal entities “The internet Association of Kazakhstan”
1. To develop the Kazakh language section of the global encyclopedia “Wikipedia”. To create a community and increase the number of articles up to 200 thousand. 2. To create internet-archive - “The Open Library of Kazakhstan”. The site is being designed by the public foundation “Wikibilim” where the works of Kazakhstani authors will be placed on the basis of the CC license. Today more than 70 authors have agreed to place their works on this basis. 3. To get materials from archives and museums of Kazakhstan on the basis of the CC license. Museums and archives of Kazakhstan are the property of the state. To get permission through the state bodies to use materials from archives and museums of Kazakhstan freely. 4. Support the ongoing international effort in reviewing and providing input for the 4.0 license suite of Creative Commons. 4. Create unofficial translations of the current licenses into Kazakh. Museums and archives of Kazakhstan are the property of the state. To get permission through the state bodies to use materials from archives and museums of Kazakhstan freely.
The project results
1. Develop the Kazakh language section of the global encyclopedia “Wikipedia”. Initial date – 16.06.2011, completion date – no time limits. Responsible – Public foundation “Wikibilim” As a result of community work, number of articles which initially was about 8 000 has reached 78 000 by today.
2. To create a website “The Open Library of Kazakhstan”. Initial date – 01.10.2011, completion date – no time limits. Responsible – Public foundation “Wikibilim” The number of works (products) (books, audio, video and photo materials) placed on the website under the CC license to bring up to 250.
3. To get materials from archives and museums of Kazakhstan on the basis of the CC license. Initial date – 01.10.2011, completion date – no time limits. Responsible – Public foundation “Wikibilim” At the initial stage to obtain permission to use materials freely (copies of photographs, unique documents, audio and video materials) from the Central Museum and the Central Archive of Kazakhstan on the basis of the CC license. Work with regional museums and archives in the future.
1. Develop the Kazakh language section of the “Wikipedia”. At the first stage of the project to increase the number of articles up to 200 thousand. 2. To create a website “The Open Library of Kazakhstan”. At the initial stage (until 31.06.2012) to bring the number of works (products) (books, audio, video and photo materials) placed on the website under the CC license to bring up to 250. 3. To get materials from archives and museums of Kazakhstan on the basis of the CC license. At the initial stage (until 01.10.2011) to obtain permission materials from the Central Museum and the Central Archive of Kazakhstan. Necessary resources People To achieve the goals and objectives the team needs to partner with leading law schools in Kazakhstan, and engage lawyer-scholars, members of the parliament in the process of adaptationadoption of the CC licenses. To do this, presentations and seminars to be held at universities on CC licenses.
Materials To achieve the goals the team will need financial sources as well. The team is actively working with the government sources as well as with business community to get sponsorship.
Translation At the initial stage the team is planning to translate the CC license 4.0 into Kazakh (the official language) and into Russian (the language of international communication). The Russian translation will be done in collaboration with the Russian affiliate of Creative Commons. Afterwards, the licenses will be translated into the languages of minority nations of Kazakhstan (Uighur and etc.). In the future we will organize the work on implementation of the CC ideas into the legislation of Kazakhstan.