Describe the project you are proposing as clearly as possible in just five sentences.
Studio Dorbel is an online collaborative studio aiming at making open short movies.
The project is open to everyone and entirely online.
Participants from all over the world collaborate around computer generated movie projects, everyone brings his talent.
Only free software and open standards are used, any resource, including the final result, is licensed under CC-BY.
It can be considered as the Wikipedia of computer generated short movies.
Detail the tangible project output (e.g., paper, blog post, written materials, video/film, etc.; this would be in addition to the final written report that successful grant recipients will be expected to deliver to CC at the conclusion of the project).
- a website and infrastructure dedicated to online movie collaboration
- a community gathered around one or more movie projects
Describe the community you are targeting. How would the project benefit the community?
The contributors will be of many kind:
- people wanting to tell stories
- 3D artitsbr />
How will you measure and evaluate your project’s impact - on your main participants? Other contributors? On the larger community?
How many participants do you expect to be involved in your project? How will you seek and sustain their involvement?
Describe how your project will benefit Creative Commons' mission to increase the amount of creativity (cultural, educational, and scientific content) in "the commons".
Describe what technologies and tools your project will use. What kinds of technical skills and expertise do you bring to the project? What are your technical needs?
- MediaWiki will be used as a wiki engine to provide the basics of the collaborative website
- Semantic MediaWiki will be used because it allows to work on a flexible data structure. It add forms and semantic power to MediaWiki, this is perfect for manipulating movie data.
- SVN or an other version control system will be used to version the movie files
- The main artistic tool will be Blender (Blender files are object oriented, which is fully adapted to this kind of project, for example, a scene file can link to two character files, data is not copied, but linked)
- 2D files will be created using GIMP, Inkscape, MyPaint for example
- Music will be mixed using Ardour
What challenges do you expect to face, and how do you plan to overcome them?
- gather a community
- art is not like software, and artists are not like developers. It can be challenging to make hundreds of artists to work together and to still have a final product that looks great.
- movie data size can grow quickly
How do you plan to sustain your project after the Creative Commons funding has ended? Detail specific plans. How do you plan to raise revenue to continue your efforts in the future?
How can this project be scalable, or have a scalable impact?
What resources and support do you expect Creative Commons to provide to your project to ensure its success (if any)?
Describe how your organization currently communicates with its community members and network partners. (100 words)