There are several opportunities for translators to get involved with Creative Commons projects.
Creative Commons uses Pootle to manage translations for the web site and our open source software projects. We wrote a set of tutorials on using Pootle for translations. Information on translating using gettext and poEdit is also available.
Check out the video tutorials in our Translating with Pootle guide!
The license engine, deeds and legal code hosted at creativecommons.org are all translated directly by CC jurisdiction partner institutions. While there are usually people at the partner institutions who handle these translations, you can suggest translations for them using our Pootle server.
For CC Project Leads
To set up translations for your jurisdiction's language(s), please:
1) Select one or more people to manage your translations
2) Each translator should create an account as described below
3) Email the translator usernames to CC CTO Nathan Yergler
1) Go to http://translate.creativecommons.org and create an account
2) After confirming your email address, log in to your account
3) Click the "My account" link in the upper right, and then click "Change options"
4) In the "My Languages" list, select all languages which you will be translating for and click "Save Changes"
If you have not yet been approved to make translations in your language, and would like to contribute, please contact us, and we'll put you in touch with the appropriate administrators.
We'd like every page on this wiki to be translated into as many languages as possible. See CcWiki:Translate for details.
Learn about Creative Commons with CC videos.
Source assets for A Shared Culture, Wanna Work Together, Get Creative, Reticulum Rex, Media that Matters, Mayer and Bettle, and Mayer and Bettle: 2 videos are available to enable translation. You can find the downloads at the following locations:
Wanna Work Together
Media that Matters
- h.264 M4V File (Web)
- Ogg Theora (Web)
- Uncompressed Quicktime (1.13gb .torrent)
- Additional Video Assets
Mayer and Bettle
Mayer and Bettle: 2
You can also translate the subtitles of our videos on dotsub.com.
Open source projects
Our open source project translations are maintained on our Pootle server. Create an account there and start translating!