Scholarship and critique regarding Creative Commons
These articles and comments have been collected to represent the different views about Creative Commons and issues related to Creative Commons. If you know of an article or comment that is not represented here, feel free to let us know about it so that we can consider it for inclusion by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Articles and comments that are suitable for inclusion here are those which somehow progress and contribute to the debate that surrounds CC & CC-related issues.(NB. At the time this book was prepared, iCommons referred to the international licensing project currently known as Creative Commons International)
General Articles and Comments Related to CC and CC Related Topics
- Christiane Asschenfeldt, "Copyright and Licensing Issues—The International Commons." In CERN Workshop Series on Innovations in Scholarly Communication: Implementing the Benefits of OAI (OAI3), 12 February-14 February 2004 at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland. Geneva: CERN, 2004. http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00000998/ 2004
- Brian Fitzgerald, Brian, and Ian Oi. "Free Culture: Cultivating the Creative Commons." (2004). http://eprints.qut.edu.au/archive/00000122/
- Jonathan B. Weitzman, and Lawrence Lessig. "Open Access and Creative Common Sense." Open Access Now, 10 May 2004. http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/archive/?page=features&issue=16
- "Out of the Way: How the Next Copyright Revolution Can Help the Next Scientific Revolution." PLoS Biology 1, no. 1 (2003): 30-31. http://www.plosbiology.org/plosonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.0000009
- Lawrence Lessig, The Creative Commons, RBL, Tokyo (2003). (No online link available at this time).
- Barbara F. Schloman,"Creative Commons: An Opportunity to Extend the Public Domain." Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 13 October 2003. http://www.nursingworld.org/ojin/infocol/info_12.htm
- Gary Stix, "Some Rights Reserved." Scientific American 288, no. 3 (2003): 46. http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=7&articleID=000C2691-4F88-1E40-89E0809EC588EEDF
- D.C. Denison, "For Creators, An Argument for Alienable Rights." Boston Globe, 22 December 2002, E2. (No online link available at this time).
- Hal Plotkin, "All Hail Creative Commons: Stanford Professor and Author Lawrence Lessig Plans a Legal Insurrection." SFGate.com, 11 February 2002. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2002/02/11/creatcom.DTL
Books Related to CC and CC Related Topics Larry
- Lawrence Lessig, (1999). Code, and Other Laws of Cyberspace. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 046503912X.
- Lawrence Lessig, (2001). The Future of Ideas: The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World. New York: Random House. ISBN 0375505784.
- Lawrence Lessig, (2005). Free Culture: The Nature and Future of Creativity. New York: Penguin. ISBN 9780143034650 2003.http://www.free-culture.cc/freeculture.pdf
- Kembrew McLeod, (2001). Owning Culture: Authorship, Ownership, and Intellectual Property Law (Popular Culture and Everyday Life). New York: Peter Lang Publishing. ISBN 0820451576.http://www.kembrew.com/books/
- Kembrew McLeod, (2005). Freedom of Expression (R) : Overzealous Copyright Bozos and Other Enemies of Creativity. New York: Doubleday. ISBN 0385513259.http://www.kembrew.com/books/
- Yochai Benkler, (2006). The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom. New Haven: Yale University Press.ISBN 0300110561. http://www.benkler.org/wealth_of_networks/index.php/Download_PDFs_of_the_book.
Law Journal Articles about CC and CC Related Topics
- Jerry Brito and Bridget Dooling, An Orphan Works Affirmative Defense to Copyright Infringement Actions, 12 Mich. Telecomm. Tech. L. Rev. 75 (2005), available at www.mttlr.org—brito&dooling.pdf www.mttlr.org—brito&dooling.pdf
- Brooke Oliver Law Group, P.C., The Artist's Perspective in the Acquisiton, Exhibition, and Preservation of New Media Works, SK061 ALI-ABA 161 (2005).
- Anupam Chander and Sunder, Madhavi, The Romance of the Public Domain, 92 Calif. L. Rev. 1331 (2004).
- Corey Field, Copyright, Technology, and Time: Perspectives on "Interactive" as a Term, 50 J. Copyright Soc'y U.S.A. 49 (2003).
- Martina Gillen, Gavin Sutter, Legal Protection of Copy-Protection Mechanisms, 51 J. Copyright Soc'y U.S.A. 729 (2004).
- Andres Guadamuz Gonzalez, Open Science: Open Source Licenses in Scientific Research, 7 N.C. J.L. & Tech. 321(2006).
- Jeffrey L. Harrison, Creativity or Commons: A Comment on Professor Lessig, 55 Fla. L. Rev. 795 (2003).
- Zachary Katz, Pitfalls of Open Licensing: An Analysis of Creative Commons Licensing, 46 IDEA 391 (2006).
- Niva Elkin-Koren, What Contracts Cannot Do: The Limits of Private Ordering in Facilitiating A Creative Commons, 74 Fordham L. Rev. 375 (November 2005).
- Robert P. Merges, A New Dynamism in the Public Domain, 71 U. Chi. L. Rev. 183 (Winter 2004).
- Christopher Sprigman, Reform(aliz)ing Copyright, 57 Stan. L. Rev. 485 (November, 2004).
- Lawrence Lessig, Dunwoody Distinguished Lecture in law: The Creative Commons, 55 Fla. L. Rev. 763 (2003).
- Lawrence Lessig, Commentary: The Creative Commons, 65 Mont. L. Rev. 1 (Winter, 2004).
- Lawrence Lessig, Free(ing) Culture for Remix, 2004 Utah L. Rev. 961 (2004).
- Lawrence B. Solum,Book Review : The Future of CopyrightFree Culture: How Big Media Uses Technology and the Law to Lock Down Culture and Control Creativity. By Lawrence Lessig, 83 Tex. L. Rev. 1137 (2005).
- Matthew Dean Stratton, Will Lessig Succeed in Challenging the CTEA, Post-Eldred?, 15 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. 893 (Spring, 2005).
Criticisms of Creative Commons
- Media Release: AFC provides no Sanctuary for Australian performers: http://modfilms.com/archives/doc/20050330_meaa_pressrelease.pdf.
- Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI), MEMORANDUM ON CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSES, http://www.alai-usa.org/Memo%20Creative%20Com%20Licences%20jg%20rev%2022%20jan.doc
- APRA position on CC, http://www.apra.com.au/writers/forms_and_guidelines/creative_commons.asp
- D. M. Berry, & Giles Moss, “On the ‘Creative Commons’: a critique of the commons without commonalty,” Free Software Magazine. No. 5., http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/free_issues/issue_05/commons_without_commonality
- D. M. Berry, & Giles Moss,"Libre Commons = Libre Culture + Radical Democracy."http://www.noemalab.org/sections/ideas/ideas_articles/berry_moss_libre_commons.html
- Niva Elkin-Koren, "Creative Commons: A Skeptical View of a Worthy Pursuit" . THE FUTURE OF THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, P. Bernt Hugenholtz & Lucie Guibault, eds., Kluwer Law International, 2006 Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=885466
- John C. Dvorak,“Creative Commons Humbug,” PC Magazine, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1838251,00.asp, Dvorak's revised position on CC: http://www.joegratz.net/archives/2005/10/27/dvorak-recants-on-creative-commons-humbug/
- Sarah Faulder, "What Creative Commons means for writers," http://www.apra.com.au/writers/downloads/creative_commons_writers.pdf
- Mihály Ficsor, "How Did We Arrive Here? The Evolution of Copyright Legislation (the End of?)," www.ebu.ch—B.1 M. Ficsor_tcm6-43830.pdf
- Michael Fitzgerald, "Copyleft Hits a Snag," http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=16073&ch=infotech
- Benjamin Mako Hill, "Towards a Standard of Freedom: Creative Commons and the Free Software Movement," http://mako.cc/writing/toward_a_standard_of_freedom.html
- Becky Hogge, "What Moves a Movement," http://www.opendemocracy.net/media-commons/movement_3686.jsp.
- Raymond Nimmer, “Open source license proliferation, a broader view," http://www.ipinfoblog.com/archives/licensing-law-issues-36-open-source-license-proliferation-a-broader-view.html
- Andrew Orlowski, “On Creativity, Computers and Copyright," The Register. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/21/creativity/
- Emma Pike, "What you need to know about Creative Commons," http://www.apra.com.au/writers/downloads/creative_commons.pdf
- Evan Prodromou, "debian-legal Summary of Creative Commons 2.0 Licenses," http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html
- Richard Stallman, Position on Creative Commons: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/entry-20050920.html.and http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/07/1733220
- Péter Benjamin Tóth, “Creative Humbug: Personal feelings about the Creative Commons licenses," http://www.indicare.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=118, http://www.apra.com.au/writers/downloads/creative_commons.pdf