How To Use The Podcasting Legal Guide
The index for the Guide is set out in the accompanying sidebar to help you find those sections that are of most interest to you. We have also highlighted specific sections that are likely to be relevant to certain people based on their familiarity with legal and technical issues relating to podcasting. Remember that nothing in this Guide is nor should be relied on as legal advice or a substitute for legal advice. We explain more about these limitations in the Introduction Section of the Guide (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#INTRODUCTION).
- I’m new to Podcasting. Where can I learn about the background information before I tackle the legal questions?
- Section 3. – “Basic Background Of Podcasting” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Basic_Background_Of_Podcasting) provides some useful materials about the history of podcasting and how it works.
- I know what Podcasting is, but I’m new to considering legal issues and online content. Where can I get an overview?
- Section 1.1. – “Overview Of The Legal Issues You Need To Consider” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Overview_Of_The_Legal_Issues_You_Need_To_Consider.) provides a brief explanation of some of the main legal issues that are likely to be relevant to your podcasting.
- I have a general sense of the main legal issues. Where can I find more information on how these issues play out?
- Section 1.2. – “Copyright Issues” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Copyright_Issues), Section 1.3 – “Publicity Rights Issues” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Publicity_Rights_Issues) and Section 1.4. – “Trademark Issues” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Trademark_Issues) provide more detail about how these issues play out in relation to podcasting. Examples are included to help explain how the law may play out in some contexts.
- My podcast relates only to music. What part of the Guide deals with my key issues?
- Section 1.2.7. – “Using Music” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Using_Music) provides an overview of the copyright issues faced by music podcasters.
- My podcasts include videos and images. I’m a vlogger. What sections are most relevant for me?
- Section 1.2.8. – “Using Video/Images” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Using_Video.2FImages) is the best place to start to address the copyright questions related to your use of video and images. In addition, you’ll want to read Section 1.3. – “Publicity Rights Issues” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Publicity_Rights_Issues) which addresses questions about the law when you podcast images of people.
- I’m confident that all of the content in my podcast is cleared and authorized for whatever use you wish to make of it. Where can I learn more about the legal terms on which I can distribute or license my podcast?
- Section 2. – “Legal Issues Surrounding How You Distribute Your Podcast” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Legal_Issues_Surrounding_How_You_Distribute_Your_Podcast) is likely the best place for you to start reading. That Section deals with licenses, and how to apply Creative Commons licenses or the traditional “all rights reserved” model to protect your podcast.
- This Guide is way too basic for me. I want to deepen my knowledge of the technical and legal issues relevant to podcasting. Does the Guide include information to help me do that?
- You will want to scan the resources provided in Section 4. – “Background And Further Resources” (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Background_and_Further_Resources). This Section of the Guide will be updated periodically to include links to other useful information.
Remember that if you have any suggestions or comments, please post them to the talk page of the Guide’s wiki (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Talk:Podcasting_Legal_Guide). These comments will be reviewed periodically and will help us when preparing future updates to the Guide.