Run these commands to download a quickstart script.
cd /tmp/ # As good a place as any wget http://gitorious.org/discovered/repo/blobs/raw/master/gimme-discovered bash gimme-discovered
The script will check for dependencies, build DiscoverEd, perform a small crawl, and launch a J2EE server (Jetty) with the software.
What does the script do?
- Install the DiscoverEd code in ./discovered (relative to the working directory)
- Create a Derby database in the DISCOVERED_DB directory
- Add a sample curator, and a sample feed
- Aggregate the resources listed in that feed
- Perform a simple crawl
- Run a test search for the term "christianity", and print the results to your terminal
The above steps use the search engine without using a web browser. To make it all work in your web browser, the script will then do the following:
- Launch an included copy of Jetty
- Open the search engine in Firefox
What you should expect to see
This is a development branch. What you'll see is a search engine that says "Nutch".
Controlling the Installation
The script has several variables which control its behavior, including the install location (DISCOVER_ED_ROOT).
If you need more control (or are using this in production), you'll probably want to do a manual installation.