Run these commands to download a quickstart script.
cd /tmp/ # As good a place as any wget http://gitorious.org/discovered/repo/blobs/raw/master/gimme-discovered bash gimme-discovered
The script will check for dependencies, build DiscoverEd, and launch a J2EE server with the software.
What does the script do?
- Install the DiscoverEd code in ./discovered (relative to the working directory)
- Create a discovered database (the default configuration is for MySQL)
- Add a sample curator, and a sample feed
- Download the web pages linked to by that feed
- Run a test search for the term "crime", and print the results to your terminal
The above steps use the search engine without using a web browser. To make it all work in your web browser, the script will then do the following:
- Download a copy of the excellent web server Tomcat in the same directory
- Run that copy of Tomcat
- Open the search engine in Firefox
What you should expect to see
This is a development branch. What you'll see is a search engine that says "DiscoverEd", but which is colored and laid-out incorrectly. The text of the results won't display. (We're working on it.)
Controlling the Installation
The script has several variables which control its behavior, including the install location (DISCOVER_ED_ROOT) and database name (DED_DB_NAME).
If you need more control (or are using this in production), you'll probably want to do a manual installation.