Welcome to the homepage for all things Software Development at Creative Commons. We hope to build a community of developers interested in the development of tools to facilitate Creative Commons' licenses and standards.
Getting involved with the Creative Commons Develoer Community is easy! Here are some examples of things you can work on:
- Join the Community! - See the mailing lists, IRC channel, and learn about CC + Open Source.
- Try your hand at some Developer Challenges!
- Translate projects into different languages.
- Participate in the Summer of Code program.
- Maximizing software distribution by targeting distros, PR, etc.
The Creative Commons Development Community actively develops the following software projects:
- liblicense - An abstract library for reading and writing license meta-data.
- License tagger - A small cross-platform application which implements liblicense.
- LicenseChooser.js - provides a lightweight method for integrating license selection into web applications.
- ccHost - The software which powers ccMixter.
- Translator - http://translate.creativecommons.org/
- Command Line Tools
- ccTeamspace, a task and project tracking system
- ccPublisher (not maintained any more)
Also see the Tools Category Index for links to additional projects. Code for our projects is hosted at code.creativecommons.org or Berlios.de; see the Source Repository Policy for information on contributing code or starting a new project. See the Source Repository Information page for general information about the available modules and how to check them out from source control.
We also maintain several library projects which are reused in some of our applications:
- License Wrappers language-specific wrappers for representing and manipulating license information
- Creative Commons Web Services
- Web Services Client Implementations
- Ajax License Chooser
The projects below are currently being discussed or explored:
- Developer Challenges - a long list of challenges set for exploration
- Content Aggregation
- Dream CC Tool - A discussion of the "ideal" CC tool; possibly the successor to ccPublisher?
- Development Ideas - A collection of nascent ideas for CC-enabled tools. As these become more fleshed out, they'll be moved to their own pages.
- Build a strong and supportive community of developers
- Support Creative Commons Developer Community Projects
- Build infrastructure around Creative Commons licenses
- Build infrastructure around Creative Commons standards
- Available ways to enable users to choose a licens.
- Reading Licenses in various programming languages
- HOWTO Create, Apply and Submit Patches
- Translating - Help localize for your language
- Coding Style - General coding guidelines and settings
- Using Markup
- git phrasebook - Tips on using "git" well
- Software Release Procedure - best practices for releasing CC Developer Community Software
- Search Engine Survey - General survey of the open source search engine scene
- Operating System Search Survey - General survey of search and metadata