Any regular person can explore their creative passions and participate in our greater culture. Supraterranean.com is an experiment to see how many people will take advantage of that. — Nick Meador
Supraterranean.com is a new kind of online magazine where writers, filmmakers, and artists can self-publish their creative work. Published content types include fiction, nonfiction, essay, poetry, film, photography, art, and multimedia. The basic idea is to post all submissions without applying a selection process, and then let the audience respond, rate, and comment. The most highly rated and most viewed items are featured on the home page along with admin picks.
All content on Supraterranean.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. We're working on making all content available to download (as PDF, MOV, etc) under the same license. Content can be published under a different license (or with "all rights reserved") at the request of the contributor.
- To explore the artistic potential allowed by the Internet and associated technologies.
- To provide a "writers circle" type environment where aspiring and established artists of many disciplines can get constructive feedback on their work.
- To break down categorical barriers between journalism, literature, poetry, music, film, and art.
- To emphasize the importance of personal experience and expression in all of these media.
- To showcase the cultural advancements taking place in the state of Michigan, and transfer online interaction into real world networking.
- To connect creative minds around the world who were meant to live, work, and play together, but who have been prevented by geography, language, and other barriers.
- To encourage the excessive use of material in the public domain or partially protected under Creative Commons license. To promote fair use of copyrighted material to the extent that is legally allowed.
- To transform, remix, and recreate culture in a way that suits the expressive needs and desires of modern society.
- To evade the pretentious nature of existing literary journals.
- To lessen the selective editor role in publishing (for journalism, literature, etc), and return control to those who create and consume culture.
- To undermine the power of major content corporations who distribute most of the media to which people are exposed.
- To fight the disease of anti-intellectualism rampant in the U.S. and around the world.
Supraterranean Admin Blog: http://www.supraterranean.com/blog/
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17254185263
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Supraterraneancom/51508395623
Twitter page: http://www.twitter.com/supraterranean
Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1030946@N25/
LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1806621
MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/supraterranean