Archive: School of Open
The School of Open (http://schoolofopen.org) is a collaboration between Creative Commons and P2PU (Peer 2 Peer University). Its aim is to provide easily digestible educational exercises, resources, and professional development courses that help individuals and institutions learn about and employ open tools, such as the CC licenses.
- Sign up for Announcements
- Join the Discussion
- Follow everything and anything to do with the School of Open at the P2PU blog
- Follow the #schoolofopen hashtag on social media
Test and Create Courses
- Test and give feedback on a School of Open course
- Have an idea for a course? Add it to the pad and shoot a note to the discussion list to find others to build it with you. Start creating!
Our core documents are evolving and open for improvement/feedback:
- Review our draft philosophy, aka description for a future School of Open /about page. Suggest improvements at the pad.
- Review our draft guidelines, helpful for determining what is and is not a School of Open course, but also ideally useful to walk through for new “open” course creators. Give us feedback at the pad.
- CC Africa Regional Meeting: Discussion on School of Open held at CC's first regional meeting in Africa. Initial interest in the project, but no immediate capacity for involvement yet.
- School of Open working meeting (July 2012): Part P2PU's month-long pop-up office in Berlin. Project Manager and P2PU community members start mapping and developing some key components of the School over two weeks. Events: Virtual sprint (24 July), School of Open challenges workshop (26 July), Open Web Challenges Hackjam w/Mozilla (28 July).
- School of Open breakout at CC Staff In-Town-Week: Intro to School of Open and P2PU course structure, with a large group brainstorm around the most common misconceptions staff run into when talking to people about CC. In small groups, staff found resources to address six common misconceptions shared those resources. The resulting resources and list of misconceptions will inform CC related courses at School of Open going forward.
- Open Knowledge Festival (September 2012) and CC Europe Regional Meeting: OKFestival’s Open Research and Education track includes an “Open Peer Learning: School of Open and School of Data” workshop to engage the OKFN, CC, and European open communities. It will take place right before the CC Europe regional meeting to allow CC affiliates to participate.
- Convening on the Open Policy Institute and School of Open (October 2012): School of Open and Open Policy Institute convening to get key funders and representatives from the various “open” sectors on board and involved. CC is organizing and hosting all logistics and content of this meeting.
- Open Ed Conference (October 2012): Creative Commons will present School of Open during a closing plenary session and pitchfest to recruit interested initiatives and individuals interested in creating and running courses on "open".
- 2012 Mozilla Festival: Making, Freedom, and the Web (November 2012): Thanks to the success of the School of Open workshops in Berlin, Mozilla has invited us to lead a similar workshop at their annual festival in London. This will be an optimal time to debut progress from Berlin through the October meeting.
- CC Asia-Pacific Regional Meeting (November 2012): Discussion and/or workshop on School of Open at these meetings (led by CC’s Global Network Manager) to catalyze affiliate involvement.
- CC Latin America Regional Meeting (November 2012): Discussion and/or workshop on School of Open at these meetings (led by CC’s Global Network Manager) to catalyze affiliate involvement.