The NonCommmercial (NC) term has for CC's entire history been more popular than ShareAlike and NoDerivatives, the other two optional terms in the CC license suite, though its popularity has slowly but steadily declined. The term as it has appeared in all generic/international versions thus far (1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0):
- You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works.'
This is reflected on NC license deeds as:
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
Also in the CC license chooser, with the following question:
- Allow commercial uses of your work? ( ) Yes ( ) No
In addition to much use, the NC term has attracted much discussion and criticism (see section below), on two grounds:
- uncertainty as to whether particular uses fall in the scope of the term
- works licensed using the term are not fully free/open and the attractiveness of the term, or of CC itself, could lead to under-use of fully open terms (i.e., CC0, CC BY, and CC BY-SA)
Several legal cases have involved works under CC licenses containing the NC term.
The popularity of the NC term, and debate around it, indicate that it is an important issue to examine rigorously, and get right (see the main 4.0 page for context of overall goals) -- which could mean changes in the 4.0 suite, changes outside the licenses themselves, or retaining the exact language used thus far.
Proposals for addressing in 4.0
Proposals for addressing outside the licenses
- Global Summit 2011/The definition and future of noncommercial presented some very high level history, consideration, and options for NC in the 4.0 suite.
- Defining “Noncommercial”: A Study of How the Online Population Understands “Noncommercial Use” was published September 14, 2009