|Description of Software||Low-level license metadata integration for applications.|
|Bug Tracker||Link to Bug Tracker|
What is liblicense?
liblicense provides a straight-forward way for developers to build license-aware applications. liblicense utilizes a pluggable module system for reading and writing metadata from specific file types, allowing extensibility for specific content types.
- For a brief introduction video, check Asheesh Laroia talking about liblicense
- To see liblicense in action take a look at License tagger, the cross platform file metadata editor.
- Extract and write license information for files
- Supports enumeration of available licenses
- Wraps internationalized license information for Creative Commons licenses
- Bindings for dynamic languages (currently Python and Ruby)
- Extensible support for file types using module system
- No specific GUI library dependency allows applications to build the graphical chooser most appropriate for their platform.
- Supports verification URLs for metadata verification
See Operating System Mockups for ideas on how liblicense could be integrated into various platforms.
Developers: Using git
If you want to check out the source code and develop on it, use this command:
git clone git://code.creativecommons.org/liblicense.git git submodule init git submodule update
That should give you a working copy you can commit to. In case you wonder: the latter two commandsfill the directories
with content from external repositories similar to svn:externals for Subversion.
- Release History and Roadmap
- Desktop Integration
- RDF Reference
- File Metadata Information
- Library Documentation (generated from source)
- Buildbot helps test out liblicense on various platforms.
- Companion File metadata specification
- Tracker CC Indexing - also there is a great chart showing progress on reading/writing different filetypes (copied above).
|Have an idea about this page? Want to help build the CC ecosystem? Check out the challenges related to Liblicense, or add one of your own below.|
- About CC Wiki
- This page was last modified on 19 April 2010, at 18:27.